Friday, August 21, 2009

Sweet and Gentle Trixie, 1993 - 2009

This afternoon I had the vet put Trixie to sleep. She was in pain even in spite of painkillers. She was having trouble getting up and standing up. I've been thinking about it for weeks but finally made the decision Wednesday. I started doubling up her painkillers, no need to worry if it would kill her. By Thursday evening she was nearly her old self and enjoyed a beautiful evening which I think was made especially for her. I took off early from work today, came home and gave her more painkillers. We relaxed in the backyard until it was close to her appointment with the vet. I took her, along with Casey, to the park and just let her roam until it was time.

Trixie passed away quickly and without pain. Dr Herring was absolutely wonderful. I had taken Casey with me because I wanted him to know what happened to her. His reaction was puzzling. He acted as if she no longer existed. He's as happy as he has always been. As for me I've been crying the whole week and I'll be crying through the weekend. I've already removed her bed and placed a bookcase in it's place so I won't have to see an empty space. I'm having her cremated and placed in a box which will look well on the bookcase.

Trixie was my first dog. I had rescued her when she was about 9 years old. She had the sweetest, gentlest soul. She absolutely adored people and was always willing to be petted. She wasn't much of athletic dog but she was good company on hikes until she got too old. I don't know how I got so lucky to have a wonderful dog like Trixie, but I am so grateful that God gave her to me. Good-bye Trixie, until we meet again in heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. She looks like a sweetheart!

steven estrada said...

When I had to put my Misha down this last Christmas. We walked outside the vet's office. I carried her out to the car and held her the whole drive back home. At home, her mate, and her three grown pups waited for her. I placed her on the sofa, and let them say goodbye. They would paw, and sniff and lick her muzzle.

I guess it hit them, because they started to howl. It is amazing how one can understand the language of their companion. When they stopped howling, I took her outside to bury her next to her son.

It is a blessing to share life with somehting so in tune with us, and yet so loyal to us.

My condolences. I feel your loss, but I think you also know the joy your other dogs will bring.

God Bless