Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fayetteville Square Renovations

Last week Terry Gulley gave the SWTTF a tour of the construction on the Square. I could see that the sidewalks were going to be wider. That will be great because when the Square got crowded, it was hard to shop. It's so nice to get rid of those old ones. I don't know how many times I've tripped over them. Of course, I could be a bit of a klutz. The widening of the sidewalks won't take away any parking spaces because they were deep in the first place. I was able to see the red clay that was packed beneath the top soil. No wonder the cherry trees weren't healthy. Terry said that the new containers will all have good soil and no red dirt. The new cherry trees will last at least 50 years. I'm glad to see that they were replacing the old azaleas too. The old ones were looking nasty.
The renovation work has been criticised and I do agree that Mayor Coody should have done a better effort to informed the public on what was being planned. The artist's rendering should have been placed in the paper before they started to tear up the sidewalks. Oh well, live and learn.

No comments: