Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fayetteville, Still Waiting Rupple Road Decision

Boy, I was really disappointed that the Street Committee didn't make a decision yet on making Rupple Road a boulevard or a 4-lane road. I did make an appeal to the committee to make it a boulevard. As I told them, I am tired of hearing the phase "I wish we would have." Rupple Road is a great opportunity to have a road made correctly from the start. At lot of the developers working on Rupple Road are using ideas from the 2025 Plan and making Rupple a boulevard falls beautifully within the Plan.

I do know that making Rupple a boulevard will be more expensive but it would be a lot more expensive to fix it in the future. Just look at what they now want to do on College Ave and the Fulbright Expressway/NWA Mall. There will be a presentation next week on the Fulbright/NWA Mall (Fayetteville Expressway Economic Corridor Project). How many millions of dollars will that alone cost? The Zion Road widening conceptual drawing was presented last night, 2 million dollars; Mount Comfort/Salem/Deane Solomon intersection, over a million dollars. When you take a look at where the transportation money is being spent now, it's on widening existing streets.

It finally time for Fayetteville to build one of its major streets right the first time. Years from now, if Rupple Road isn't a boulevard and someone says "I wish we would have", I am going to give that person a big wack across the head.

No comments: