Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Democrats, Taxing Sugar


Looking for ways to pay for a national health-care system the Democrats are looking at new federal taxes on soda and other sugar drinks. I drink the diet sodas and I'm thinking that the new tax wouldn't affect me.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based watchdog group that pressures food companies to make healthier products, plans to propose a federal excise tax on soda, certain fruit drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks and ready-to-drink teas. It would not include most diet beverages. Excise taxes are levied on goods and manufacturers typically pass them on to consumers.

What a minute, maybe I'm wrong. When you purchase sodas, be it regular or diet, they are the same price. I willing to bet that the manufacturers will pass on the Soda tax evenly among all drinks they make. Diet soda drinks will be subsidizing some of the tax on the regular soda drinkers. I've already reduced my soda drinking because of the higher cost of corn syrup. (Thanks to the global warming nuts) If the cost of soda goes any higher I'm going to start drinking tea.

No comments: