Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mike Huckabee; We're Racists

From the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said Tuesday that he believes he knows what's behind the anti-immigration feelings of some Americans.

"If I were to say some of it is driven by just sheer racism, I think I would be telling you the truth," Huckabee said as he shared sandwiches and salad with close to 20 national and regional political reporters.

"I'm not saying everybody who is very, very angry [about immigration ] is a racist. I want to be very clear about that. But I've had conversations with people, and it became evident what they really didn't like is that people didn't look like them, didn't talk like them and didn't celebrate the holidays they do, and they just had a problem with it."

Mike Huckabee thinks I'm a racist. Just because I want the federal government to live up to its responsibility to secure our borders. I'm racist because I want to increase border-patrol agents, immigration inspectors, and detention beds so that I don't have to worry about terrorists crossing the borders.

I'm racist because I have no desire to continue to pay for Medicaid ($2.5 billion); treatment for the uninsured ($2.2 billion); food assistance programs ($1.9 billion); the federal prison and court systems ($1.6 billion); and federal aid to schools ($1.4 billion). Report

I'm racist because illegals are to be pardoned for crimes, like using a phony Social Security card and drivers license, which would land any American in serious trouble. Instead of facing punishment they are being rewarded with citizenship.

I'm racist because I believe that Bush's "illegals-must-wait-at-the-end-of-the-line" is a con job. Illegals, by remaining in the country and jumping into the citizenship line, rather than the visa line, have jumped way ahead of law-abiding immigrants waiting in their home countries for a visa.

Huckabee's statement is utterly contemptible. His attitude toward the American people really stinks. We have voiced valid concerns. No one has ever said that we must deport all of the illegals. What we want is to first secure our border. After that occurs, then we'll talk about a worker program and amnesty. Huckabee, these are racists.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If border security is your primary concern, why do you not demand that a fence also be built along the Canadian border -- the longest undefended border in the world?

Why is only the Mexican border that must be secured to prevent terrorist entry?

Valerie said...

The Mexican border is where the millions of illegals cross. It's perfectly logical to put resources where the problem is. If the Canadian border becomes the crossing point of millions of illegals, then yes, start building there too.

Anonymous said...

But you said: "I'm racist because I want to increase border-patrol agents, immigration inspectors, and detention beds SO THAT I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT TERRORISTS CROSSING THE BORDERS."

Terrorists can more easily cross the Canadian border than the Mexican. Why do you only want to fence the Mexican border right now if securing our borders against terrorist entry is really the issue?

Valerie said...

"Why do you only want to fence the Mexican border right now if securing our borders against terrorist entry is really the issue"

What part of this comment didn't you understand? "The Mexican border is where the millions of illegals cross. It's perfectly logical to put resources where the problem is."

Unless you have some data that I'm unaware of that shows millions of illegals are crossing the Canadian border. Are illegals crossing the Canadian border in the numbers that they are on the Mexico border? Of course, that's not your point. You're trying to show what a racist I am, because I just want the Mexico border enforced. I want the tide of illegals stopped be it Mexico or Canada. Right now the overwhelming tide of illegals are entering through the Mexico border.

Anonymous said...

I think this is the first time I have disagreed with you significantly. I think Huck was making a pretty valid point. It is obvious that SOME of the anti immigration sentiments are coming from those who are afraid, he made the clarifying statement that not all of those people who are very angry are NOT racist.
People like Holt who instigate and insulate these fears are who Huck is probably talking about.

Anonymous said...

So you admit that securing the borders against terrorists really has nothing to do with it.

Thanks