Monday, May 15, 2006

The President's speech

Well, I thought that I wouldn't be happy with what he said and I was right. It was nice that he admitted to the cost of illegals and that control of the borders has been lost. It's too bad he didn't take some responsibility for the state of our borders.

I see the National Guards as just a bone to toss to his critics. They aren't going to be there long enough and they're not going to be doing any real enforcement. What's going to happen if the "virtual fence" doesn't get built? What if the additional border guards aren't produced? Will they just withdraw the Guard and hope no one notices?

Stopping the catch and release program sounds great. Will they actually do it or will it be back to letting them go when no one is watching?

He hauled out that guest worker program. I have some questions. Who is going to pay for it? Who is going to keep track of all these workers? This is going to a one bureaucratic mess, full of paperwork and ripe for fraud. Who's going to be responsible for it and how will they monitor it? Who really wants it?

I don't care how many times he says it not amnesty, if it waddles and quacks it's a duck. What he proposed was amnesty. Just another slap in the face of those who are becoming citizens legally.

I'm not even going to think about a guest worker program or amnesty until the President gets really serious about securing and protecting the border. I don't think he is. I no longer trust him.

No comments: