Monday, May 01, 2006

Springdale, Arkansas; Illegal's Rally

I swung by the illegal's immigration rally in Springdale. I wasn't able to stay for the program, but I walked around to see what people were doing. There were several thousand people there. I felt a little out of place because most of them were Hispanic and I am white.


There must a been a message passed around not to display the Mexican flag, wear clothes that promoted Mexico and not to have signs that pushed illegal's rights.


The few Mexican flags I saw walking up to the crowd soon disappeared from sight. I saw mostly American flags. The program handout that I was given had the Pledge of Allegiance and a few American songs. I did note that "De Colores" the anthem of the United Farm Workers of America, a union founded by César E. Chávez was to be sung.


Of course, there just had to be the "Bash Bush" people. Strange, didn't they realize that President Bush is on their side?


I saw that they were registering people to vote. I asked what organization was doing it. I would have never quessed. It was the Social Workers of Arkansas. Government workers getting illegals to register to vote?


There were a small number of counter-protesters. They pretty much left after the rally got started.



UPDATE:
Lots of pictures at Freeman Hunt

No comments: