Saturday, April 29, 2006

Senator McCain, No Free Speech?

It gets really scary when a Presidential contender comments that he'd have no problem getting rid of the First Amendment.
Mark Tapscott caught Sen. John McCain, R-AZ, on the Imus Show responding to criticism from Talk Radio's Michael Graham? Here's the key quote:

"He [Michael Graham] also mentioned my abridgement of First Amendment rights, i.e. talking about campaign finance reform....I know that money corrupts....I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt. If I had my choice, I’d rather have the clean government."

We will never have a clean government. There will always be corrupt elected officials. The First Amendment allows us to speak up against corruption in government. Without free speech, Americans would be suffering under a repressive,tyrannical, corrupt government. It is absolutely amazing that a Senator would even think of such a thing. It's one really good reason not to vote for McCain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always figured that so much bad stuff happened to him in North Vietnam that I would never trust him in a position of great power.
In the Senate he is just one among many and his effect is buffered.
As President, he would be one alone.

I think captivity twisted and broke some important things inside his head and heart.