Monday, December 04, 2006

Fayetteville, Dave Brubeck Quartet

What a fantastic night! Dave Brubeck is one of my favorite jazz artists. It was so great to see him perform. Yes, he did play "Take Five". Bobby Militello , alto sax, was hot! When he played you could feel it vibrate deep within. He was so good he brought tears to my eyes. His sax solos were so hot the crowd burst into applause every time. I only wish they could have played longer.
The Ramsey Lewis Trio played after the break. I've not heard about Ramsey. He is a great pianist. His style was more relax and laid back, more reflective of a classical pianist. This is the type of jazz I usually put on when I want to fall asleep.
One thing I hate. People who leave their phones on. During one of Ramsey's solos a man's phone rang, he answered and started a conversation. It didn't last long. His neighbors made sure of that.
I sat next to a woman (Julie) who had driven down from Iowa City with her husband just to see Dave. He teaches jazz and is a musician in his own right. Dan Knight I mentioned that I have gone to Iowa City a couple of time for pathology lectures. Julie said that one of the pathologists, who I know, was actually taking lessons from Dan. Small world!

No comments: