Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs, Too Dangerous for the Home?

The new energy legislation will effectively ban incandescent light bulbs. The light bulb provision phases out the traditional 100 watt bulbs by gradually increasing efficiency requirements through 2020. However, there is a major flaw in the compact fluorescent bulbs.
Mercury, a toxic metal famously found in thermometers, helps create the increased efficiency of a CFL bulb. If the bulb breaks, the small amount of mercury can contaminate the area.

The mercury is considered a hazardous material and the EPA has a list of instructions on how to dispose of it. You just can't pick up the pieces and throw them in the trash.
Have everyone else leave the area; don't let anyone walk through the mercury on their way out. Make sure all pets are removed from the area. Open all windows and doors to the outside; shut all doors to other parts of the house.

Boy, doesn't that make you feel safe. It just makes you want to go out and buy them.
Remember to keep the area well ventilated to the outside (i.e., windows open and fans in exterior windows running) for at least 24 hours after your successful cleanup.

Just make sure you don't break one of these in the winter.
If a spill occurs on carpet, curtains, upholstery or other absorbent surfaces, these contaminated items should be thrown away in accordance with the disposal means outlined below. Only cut and remove the affected portion of the contaminated carpet for disposal.

So, how much money are you going to save if you have to replace your carpet. That $5 per month savings suddenly doesn't look all that hot.

I have replace some of the bulbs in my house with the fluorescent bulbs and as soon as they die I will be going back to the old bulbs. They don't light a room as well as the old 100 watt bulbs and they fit in the light fixtures poorly. I'm going to be stocking up on those 100 watt bulbs.

Just a thought. You are forced to buy the bulbs and when they break can you sue the manufacturer for clean up costs? Can your home be declared as a toxic site?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"CFL" Compact Florescent Bulbs are toxic when broken and can spread a dangerous residue.

Want more light? a 100 watt bulb is best, but casts off heat, It's best to use in cold climates since it saves on heating bills.
Yhe "bugaboo about 100 watt light bulbs is the so-called dangerous use in a lamp.
Tyre. An enclosed lamp with little ventilation will become hot and if there are flammable that cant contact the bulb's surface, it might ignite.

The best lamps are uncovered or have a "shade"that's fully open at the top and/or sides.
New incandescent bulbs will give off an odor which bothers some fearful people in the first few hours. but that evaporates.

Save heating expenses at night - use 100 watt bulbs - safely, of course, and with any heated gizmo, think ahead and use your brains.
Everything is dangerous to some degree... look at a kitchen knife!