Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Martin Luther King, Fayetteville Street

Well, the City Council changed the name of 6th Street to Martin Luther King. No surprise there. Around MLK's birthday some city is naming a street after him. While some do so because they really want to honor him, others do it because they don't want to be called racists and it's a chance for an outgoing Mayor to put another notch on their record. I have news for the Council, I'm still going to call it 6th street. That's how I've always know it and it'll be too difficult for me to change, particularly to something that's way too long to say.
I have another street in mind that they should change to MLK. I would have mentioned it but I could see the Council squirm in embarrassment and shame. We have a street that is named after a man that was a proud racist.
For most of his life and public service, Fulbright was a supporter of racial segregation. He signed The Southern Manifesto opposing the Supreme Court's historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision. He subsequently joined with the Dixiecrats in filibustering the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as voting against the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Wikipedia

Fulbright was everything Martin Luther was fighting against. It would be honorable and sweet poetic justice if the Council had renamed the Fulbright Express to the Martin Luther King Boulevard.

5 comments:

Rita said...

And now all those businesses have the added expense of changing addresses. Still gonna be 6th St. to me too.

Anonymous said...

Forty years after King died and we've got folks quibbling about the price of letterheads. Oh, the burden of address changes!

Look, how many times in one's life does an individual move? Like the song says, nobody stays in one place anymore. We've all had to take time to fill out the postal address change cards, notify our correspondents and accounts, check our magazine subscriptions and everything else. And how many businesses ever move locations over the course of time? More than a few.

This argument about address changes is a crock. I recall when Reagan was practically pushed into signing the King national holiday bill, all the usual suspects were crowing about the expense to the economy of another day off. It's always something: whenever someone wants to honor King, there's always an excuse, always a call for delay. You can't help but wonder about those folks.

Valerie said...

Hey, I don't have a problem with naming a street after MLK, I just suggested a more appropriate street that, in the name of justice, should have his name. I think the change I suggested would resonate and reaffirm MLK's message.

Rita said...

I don't care if they re-named it Fred Flintstone Drive. It's still an added expense forced on businesses by local government...unlike moving. And I fail to see how changing the present honorary designation actually 'honors' MLK Jr any more.

Anonymous said...

Check out http://peoplepowergranny.blogspot.com. I'm requesting folks who live near a MLK street to describe that street. Also vote in my poll about your local MLK Street. ThereP's more than 780 such streets in the USA.