Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Asa Hutchinson & Mike Beebe, The 2nd Debate

I watch the debate at the Washington County Republican Headquarters. Big screen TV with food and drinks! Asa dropped in after the debate. He was still on an adrenaline high. He did make a comment about the recently release "poll". He said to ignore it as their polls show that Asa was within the margin of error.


OK, my thoughts on the debate. Yeah, I know, you're waiting with bated breath. Asa owned the debate. He started strong and finished strong. Mike Beebe did well as a whole, but lost some momentum from hits by Asa on the grocery tax and rural schools. I thought that he was going to lose it when Asa said that Beebe helped to shut down Paron, he didn't support the Paron parents. Asa made sure people understood the difference between the elimination of the grocery tax (Asa) vs the phasing out of the tax (Beebe). He called Beebe's grocery tax plan an "empty promise" and Beebe's advertisement a "bait and switch". The best line I thought was Asa's "taxing the food in the mouths of the poor."
By the closing statements Mike Beebe had wound down and was droning on. A two minute speech and my mind was starting to wander. Boy, I was glad that Asa was last. He woke me up. He was aggressive. Bam! Bam! Bam! He nailed in a list of everything he wanted to do and even got in his NRA and Right to Life endorsements. In that last 2 minute speech Asa Hutchinson looked and acted like a Governor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Asa! controlled the tone from beginning to end. I liked when he pointed out that Both Ways Beebe laid out enough new spending plans to erase all hope of rolling back the grocery tax. I came into the Watch Party after the debate. I was wearing the white Asa! golf shirt. I wonder if I saw/interacted with you. Let me know if you remember dferrel@gmail.com.